Our district’s experience is plagued by gun violence and property crime, yet our police officers are not equipped to handle most of the urgent work that falls to them. Police officers are not social workers or mental health specialists. We need to reorient our city’s response to violence in a proactive way that centers social services and crisis response. Public safety in Berkeley must be data-driven, respectful of privacy rights, and cognizant of implicit bias.
Safety does not end with preventing crime. The staffing capacity of our Fire Department has not kept pace with the City’s population growth. Berkeley’s neighborhoods must be resilient and prepared in the face of earthquakes, floods, and wildfires.
As your District 2 City Councilmember, I will work to reimagine the role of law enforcement in the City of Berkeley and prioritize firefighter retention, training, and the maintenance of robust wildfire prevention and hazard mitigation.
Find your Berkeley Police Department Area Coordinator
- Councilmember Taplin Statement on May 5 Reimagining Public Safety MeetingMay 5, 2022 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Dear District 2, I was born and raised in West Berkeley, and have lived in the neighborhood currently bearing the brunt of increasing gun violence for most of my life. Berkeley is a diverse community, and while we may not always agree on particulars, we value a just society […]
- Councilmember Taplin Statement on May 3 HomicideMay 4, 2022 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE I am grieving the loss of another neighbor in the district. We must never let gun violence become an acceptable, routine part of our lives–it is a terrible tragedy and we must do everything in our power to stop the bloodshed for good. The City of Berkeley must take […]
- Councilmember Taplin Statement on Reimagining Public Safety in BerkeleyApril 29, 2022 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Last week, the City Manager’s Office presented a Reimagining Public Safety implementation plan with budget recommendations. This plan includes reinstating most deferred positions in the Police Department, as well as strengthening funding and institutional support for a Specialized Care Unit (SCU) and other community-based service models. I will be […]
- 3/20/22 LifeLong Medical Vaccine Pop Up at Office Hours in San Pablo ParkLifeLong Medical Vaccine Pop Up at Office Hours in San Pablo Park Sunday March 20 12pm – 1:30pm Pfizer 5-11y.o and Pfizer 12+ Bring ID and Vaccine Card Schedule an Appointment: https://tinyurl.com/LMCComVaxE Registrar para clínica de vacuna: https://tinyurl.com/LMCComVaxS
- Councilmember Taplin Statement on Berkeley HomicideMarch 9, 2022 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE I am heartbroken by the news of Anthony Joshua Fisher’s murder. I am grateful for the hard work of the Berkeley Police Department’s homicide detectives to investigate this heinous crime and arrest the suspect. They have fulfilled the highest duty of our officers of the peace with integrity and […]