Terry Taplin is a poet and Berkeley City Councilmember representing District 2, West and Southwest Berkeley. A mobility and environmental justice activist, Terry has led on housing, green transportation, and fights for a climate resilient future. As a West Berkeley native, Terry envisions a future where West Berkeley is at the center of an economically vibrant, innovative, and sustainable East Bay.
- 2021 Legislative RoundupThe following items have been approved by the city council. Outstanding budget referrals will need to be funded in upcoming budget cycles. Write to the council to support West Berkeley’s budget priorities! Berkeley City Council Unanimously Passes CM Taplin’s Hazard Pay for Grocery Store Workers Resolution Recognizing Housing as Human Right; Referring to City Manager Several Measures to […]
- Statement on DoubleTree Unionization EffortsDecember 2, 2021 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE “As a native of West Berkeley and City Councilmember representing half of the Berkeley Marina, I am in full support of the efforts by employees at the DoubleTree by Hilton hotel to obtain a union contract. Hospitality and service workers are the backbone of our local economy, and their work at DoubleTree provides vital tax revenue […]
- Councilmember Taplin Statement on Interim Regulations for Police Accountability BoardOctober 5, 2021 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE “I am proud to be from a city that was first in the nation to pioneer civilian oversight of police. I was proud to vote for Measure II last year, along with many District 2 voters who chose me to represent them. However, I remain concerned with the City Council’s approval of interim regulations without concretely […]
- Councilmember Taplin Statement on Where Do We Go v. Caltrans RulingSeptember 27, 2021 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE “I am disappointed by District Court Judge Edward Chen’s decision to keep people living at the Ashby Shellmound encampment. A freeway exit is not a stable, secure, or sustainable location for anyone, let alone vulnerable and marginalized individuals. The City of Berkeley, Alameda County, and our community partners at Dorothy Day House and Rebuilding Together have […]
- Councilmember Taplin Statement on Shootings in Southwest BerkeleySeptember 24, 2021 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE “It has been just 20 days since my last statement on a shooting in District 2. I am heartbroken by the news of two more shootings in our community last night, with one that sent a young girl to the hospital. I am relieved to hear that her injuries were not life-threatening, but deeply upset by […]
Talk with Terry
- 9/25 Joint Office Hours in the Park with CM. KesarwaniSept 25th,12:00p-2:00pStrawberry Creek Park Join Councilmember Taplin and Councilmember Kesarwani (D1) for joint office hours in the park!
- 9/25 Community Safety Pop UpSept 25th, 3-5pmSan Pablo Park (North side of Frances Albrier) Join Councilmember Taplin and BPD for a community safety popup!
- Office Hours in the Park!Join Councilmember Taplin for Outdoor Office Hours! 12:00 – 1:00pm! First Saturdays:George Florence Second Saturdays:Dreamland at Aquatic Park Third Saturdays:San Pablo Park(North side of Frances Albrier) Fourth Saturdays:Strawberry Creek Park
- Community Safety Pop Up Sept 5Sept 5th, 12-2pmGeorge Florence Park Join Councilmember Taplin for a community safety pop up!
- 8/29 Community Safety Pop Up!Sunday August 29th, 12:30 -2pm at Strawberry Creek Part Join Councilmember Taplin for a Community Safety Pop Up!