Hi, I’m Terry. I am a poet, slam champion, community organizer, and social democrat born and raised in Southwest Berkeley. Before being elected to represent District 2 on the City Council, I served as Vice-Chair of Berkeley’s Transportation Commission and a California Assembly District 15 associate member of the Alameda County Democratic Party Central Committee. I’ve previously served the City of Berkeley on the Grants Committee of the Children, Youth, and Recreation Commission and the Grants Committee of the Civic Arts Commission.
As an openly gay, working-class Black man raised in West Berkeley by a single mother, I am no stranger to stigma and prejudice. Fortunately, I have been able to grow up in a city that champions justice and social change. I have always had influential teachers and mentors, especially women of color, women, and religious minorities, all of whom instilled me with courage and dedication to advocacy and civic engagement.
For these reasons, I am immensely proud to be an alumnus of Berkeley Public Schools, Berkeley City College, and Saint Mary’s College of California. My great-grandfather was a Texan farmer who fled racial violence in the South, my grandfather was a Navy vet, and my grandmother is a retired nurse. My father is a retired accountant who served BUSD and the City of Richmond. My mother is a retired in-home elder care provider. My husband is a psychiatric nurse, and my sister is an IHSS care provider. Social justice and compassionate service have always been core beliefs of mine.
As your District 2 City Councilmember, I will build upon and amplify my role as a champion of racial justice and social equity in the City of Berkeley.
Fill Out the Budget Priority Survey!
- 6/10 Grayson Street Shelter Community MeetingThursday, June 10th at 6pm Join Councilmember Taplin & Mayor Arreguin for the Grayson Street Shelter Community Meeting. Register athttps://tinyurl.com/GraysonShelter
- 4/29 6th St Traffic Calming WorkshopThursday, April 296:00 – 7:00pm Join Councilmember Terry Taplin in a Neighborhood Workshop for calming traffic on 6th Street. Register athttps://tinyurl.com/6thStTraffic
- Councilmember Taplin Statement on Chauvin Verdict and Berkeley Police AuditApril 22, 2021 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE “The verdict delivered in Minneapolis is not what justice looks like—what we saw was the bare minimum of public accountability,” said Berkeley City Councilmember Terry Taplin (District 2). “Justice would mean George Floyd being alive today, known mostly for his art and love for his family. Just as peace is not merely the absence of strife, […]
- 4/22 9th St Traffic Calming Neighborhood WorkshopThursday April 225:30-6:30pm Join Councilmember Terry Taplin, Matt George (Berkeley Firefighters Association IAFF 1227),& Kim Walton (District 2 Transportation Commissioner) in a Neighborhood Workshop for calming traffic on 9th Street. Register at https://tinyurl.com/9thStTraffic
- Councilmember Taplin Proposes Urgent Ninth Street Traffic Safety ImprovementsFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 4/13/2021 BERKELEY, CA – Jackie Erbe, a local mobility justice activist, was struck by a motorist on March 16 while biking with her child at Ninth Street and Channing Street and was hospitalized with serious injuries. In response to this near-tragedy and countless others like it, City Councilmember Terry Taplin (District 2) and Mayor Arreguín […]
Talk with Terry
- 6/10 Grayson Street Shelter Community Meeting
- 4/29 6th St Traffic Calming Workshop
- 4/22 9th St Traffic Calming Neighborhood Workshop
Thursday April 22
Join Councilmember Terry Taplin,
Matt George (Berkeley Firefighters Association IAFF 1227),
& Kim Walton (District 2 Transportation Commissioner)
in a Neighborhood Workshop for calming traffic on 9th Street.
- April 23: From Community College to Elected Office Panel Discussion
AAUW Berkeley Presents: From Community College to Elected Office
Interested in running for office someday?
Join us for a panel discussion and workshop!
Friday, April 23rd, from 4-6pm
Sign up at: www.tinyurl.com/cctoelectedofffice
- South Berkeley Community Safety Townhall
South Berkeley Community Safety Townhall
Join Councilmembers Taplin, Bartlett, Mayor Arreguin, Interim Police Chief Jen Louis, and special guests, Oakland City Councilmember Dan Kalb and Emeryville City Councilmember John Bauters for a townhall discussion on community safety, March 31 2021 at 7pm!
Register at https://tinyurl.com/SBerkTownHall!