BPD is investigating the shooting at George Florence Park; their investigation is at initial phases, with no details to share yet.
- How can the community help? Provide tips to the BPD non-emergency line at (510) 981-5900 or contact Area Coordinator, Officer Brian Hartley (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (510) 981-5774
- You can register your home security camera with BPD here.
What is the city doing long-term?
- American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds have been allocated for hiring new BPD personnel for data analysis and for setting up a Problem-Oriented Policing Unit.
- Our budget referral for bike/foot patrol has been funded; implementation is pending staff resources being reorganized.
- Our ordinance regulating “ghost guns” and budget referral for automated license plate readers (ALPRs) will be up before the Public Safety Policy Committee soon! Share your thoughts with the committee by emailing PolicyCommitee@CityofBerkeley.info!
How can we come together to make our community safer?
- To share public safety concerns and measures you’d like to see the City take, please write to Ttaplin@cityofberkeley.info CC: Mayor@cityofberkeley.info, Council@cityofberkeley.info.
- Keep in touch with your BPD Community Services Bureau Area Coordinator: Brian Hartley (West of San Pablo). BHartley@cityofberkeley.info (510) 981-5774; George Schikore (East of San Pablo) email@example.com (510) 981-5772; Jessica Perry (Harmon area) JPerry@cityofberkeley.info.
- 10th St neighbors, contact neighborhood CERT leader Suzy Springborg (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’d like to join the 10th St Neighborhood mailing list and stay updated on CERT training.
- Contact Berkeley Disaster Preparedness Neighborhood Network to find or start a CERT team in your neighborhood.
- If you know a family struggling with violence reach out to Voices Against Violence.
- For faith-based interventions please contact Bishop Kelly Woods at the Covenant Worship Center; Pastor Michael Smith at McGee Avenue Baptist Church; and Pastor Michael McBride at the Way Christian Center
- If you, a loved one, or a name is experiencing mental health crisis and would like a visit from the City of Berkeley Mobile Crisis team, please share the contact information of the relevant party with the confidential MCT voice mail: 510-981-5254
- Connect young people in your neighborhood to BYA and Waterside Workshops
- Team up with a couple of neighbors on your block to build a Neighborhood safety network. My office is here to help!